Interested in trading your time for a festival experience you’ll never forget? Volunteer at Hangout Music Festival!
In exchange for becoming a Hangout Volunteer, you’ll receive a general admission 3-day pass, a t-shirt, amazing opportunities and a fun time! Plus, when you’re not working, you get to experience the festival! Please read the volunteer requirements, information and terms & conditions completely before submitting an application. Individual volunteer positions will be assigned based on festival needs.
What are the requirements to be a Volunteer at Hangout Music Festival?
- Volunteers must be 18 years or older on or before May 1, 2016.
- There is a $15 non-refundable application processing fee.
- In addition to the application fee, you will be required to pay the cost of a 3-day ticket as a deposit ($250) with a valid debit or credit card. You will be required to pay the deposit and application fee ($265 total) at the time of registration.
- The card you use will be refunded the $250 within 30 days of the end of the festival as long as you complete your work requirements and follow the volunteer rules. If you fail to complete the work requirements or follow the volunteer rules, you will forfeit your deposit. (Essentially you will just end up paying for a ticket plus the application processing fee.)
- Once you have paid your deposit, and have been accepted and scheduled, you will be notified via email. Please provide a valid email address at the time of registration. This will be the main way that we communicate with you.
- Volunteers must be on time for all shifts.
- Volunteers must wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes.
- Volunteers will be provided a t-shirt to wear while working and are required to take it off while not working.
- There is a zero tolerance policy for the usage of alcohol or illegal drugs for volunteers. You will be subject to standard legal action for consumption and your deposit will be forfeited.
- If you are caught under the influence, stealing, or passing your wristband during your shift, you will forfeit your deposit and lose your access to the festival.
- Accepted volunteers are given a 3-day GA pass to the festival. This is a non-transferrable festival wristband.
What are the shifts like?
Pre-festival volunteers will work a minimum of 24 total hours divided into four (4) 6-hour shifts between May 10-19, 2016. All pre-festival volunteers will be done with their work requirements before the festival begins on Friday, May 20. All pre-festival volunteer spots are currently filled for the 2016 festival.
During festival volunteers will work a minimum of 15 total hours during the festival, divided into three (3) 5-hour shifts. Plan to arrive 30 minutes prior to your first assigned shift. All during festival volunteers will work at least one morning shift and one late night shift to ensure that everyone works equal time and that schedules are balanced.
Post-festival volunteers will work a minimum of 24 total hours divided into four (4) 6-hour shifts between May 23-26, 2016. All post-show volunteers will complete their shifts after the festival. These positions are limited and will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. All post-festival volunteer spots are currently filled for the 2016 festival.
Show up on time and complete your assigned shifts, and your $250 deposit will be refunded!
How do I apply?
- Read through all of the information and requirements to become a Hangout volunteer.
- Fill out the Hangout volunteer application here. Please ensure you provide a valid e-mail address. This is how you will be contacted between now and the festival. You must be available to work each of your assigned shifts.
- After you fill out the application, be sure to pay your deposit. All Hangout volunteers must pay a $250 deposit and a $15 non-refundable application fee before being confirmed as a volunteer. All deposits must be received by April 15, 2016. Provided that you show up on time to all of your shifts, fulfill your assigned duties and don’t break any rules, your full deposit will be refunded to you within 30 days of the end of the festival.
- The Hangout Music Festival will notify you via email for all communication. Please remember that the trick is to be flexible and be willing to lend a helping hand!
- Check-in information will be sent to you prior to the event. You will be notified of your shifts and the check-in location via e-mail. When you arrive, you will be given your volunteer t-shirt and general admission wristband.
- Show up on time. Work hard. Enjoy the festival. Make sure you check in and out for each shift! Remember, all Hangout volunteers are expected to dress appropriately, wearing their Hangout volunteer t-shirt and closed-toe shoes, and to take off their volunteer t-shirts while not working.
- Please come prepared to work outside in the elements. Bring sunscreen and stay hydrated! Please be aware that storage space is limited for staff and volunteers. Please leave valuables at home.
- If for any reason you need to cancel, be sure to cancel your application in writing via email to email@example.com by April 15, 2016. Due to the overwhelming number of applicants, cancellations received after April 15, 2016 will forfeit the deposit. No exceptions will be made. All refunds related to cancellation, as well as a confirmed completion of festival shifts, will be processed within thirty days after the festival. Please remember the $15 processing fee is non-refundable.
- Once you complete all of your shifts, you get your deposit back! All deposits will be issued within 30 days of the end of the festival.
Volunteer Applications Terms and Conditions
- I understand that I am applying to be a volunteer at The Hangout Music Festival (“Event”), for which I will receive no compensation.
- I understand that there is no guarantee that I will be selected to be a volunteer at the Event.
- I am currently over the age of 18 or will be over the age of 18 by May 1, 2016.
- I attest to the truth of all statements made in my application.
- I understand that the use of alcohol and/or controlled substances before or while on duty is strictly prohibited. Violation of this policy will result in immediate dismissal from the Hangout Music Festival, repossession of all credentials, forfeiture of deposit, and removal from the festival grounds.
- I understand that if I violate any event rule, I will lose my deposit of $250.00.
- I acknowledge that I have read and fully understand these terms and conditions.
- Confirmed volunteers that have to cancel for any reason will be refunded the full amount of their deposit ($250) if the cancellation is given in written notice via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 15, 2016. Confirmed volunteers that cancel after April 15, 2016 will forfeit their full deposit with no exceptions.
Where will I be working? Can I choose where I will be placed?
You will be assigned to a volunteer shift based on festival needs and your skills. You will find out what shifts you will be working when you receive your confirmation e-mail. Some of the possibilities include:
- Site build
- Water refill stations
- Info / ADA access
Why do I have to pay a deposit?
We want to provide you with a valuable, worthwhile experience. In order to plan an awesome experience both for you and the festival, a deposit helps us ensure that volunteers will show up on time and do the jobs that they agreed to do. If you show up on time, follow the rules, and work diligently on the tasks assigned to you, your deposit will be returned by June 21st, 2016.
What are the perks of being a Hangout volunteer?
- Attend the festival at your leisure outside of your work shifts
- Participate in the inner-workings of the 2016 Hangout Music Festival
- Get a Hangout volunteer t-shirt
- Get a meal voucher for each shift that you work
- Have an awesome experience!
My bestie is also volunteering. Can you coordinate my shift with his or hers?
When you and your friend fill out your applications, be sure to indicate their name. Keep in mind that with so many volunteers and many varied needs, we cannot guarantee that you will share assignments with your friends, but we will certainly try!
When do I show up for my shift?
Please arrive 30 minutes before your assigned volunteer shift begins and be ready to work. You will receive a volunteer t-shirt prior to your first shift. You will be expected to wear it while you are working, and you will be expected to take it off while you are not working. As we get closer to the big weekend, additional details will be sent about checking in for your shifts!
What if I have to cancel?
If you need to cancel, be sure to cancel your application via email to email@example.com by April 15, 2016. Due to the overwhelming number of applicants, volunteers that give written notice of their cancellation after April 15, 2016 will forfeit their deposit. No exceptions will be made.
How can I assure that I get on my preferred volunteer crew?
There are no guarantees of volunteer crew placements. If you have special skills that would make you a better fit for a certain crew, please note that on the application. We appreciate your flexibility and willingness to lend a helping hand!
Is transportation or accommodation provided?
No. All volunteers are responsible for their own transportation to and from the festival. There is no lodging or accommodation provided for volunteers.
I already bought a ticket, but I would still like to help out for a few hours. Can I do that?
We appreciate the offer but unfortunately, for the sake of continuity, we need volunteers who can commit to working at least 18 hours.
If your question is not answered in these FAQs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that due to an overwhelming number of emails, we will not respond to questions if the answer is listed above.
Click here to apply.